Monday, July 21, 2008

Striving Toward Simplicity


sim·pli·fy

To make simple or simpler, as:
a. To reduce in complexity or extent.
b. To reduce to fundamental parts.
c. To make easier to understand.


So, while on our vacation during the first half of July, I came to understand that I need to simplify my life. I have begun to spend too much time, either physically or mentally, outside of my home. When I get into a mode such as this, I tend to become easily overwhelmed and I feel disconnected from my purpose in life. The "outside" world begins to control my "inside" world and then my priorities start getting out-of-alignment.

Society is tricky this way. It tries to convince us, as mothers, that we need to be outside the home by either working, having our kids in multiple activities, friend groups, etc. so that our focus is not completely on our home and family. Plus society also tries to convince us that we need to change ourselves (usually physically) to fit into the current "in" trend, which causes us to feel inadequate, thus giving Satan the win. I also believe that we as women and mothers tend to justify these situations by saying that we are doing this for "us" and not anyone else. So, my challenge would be, why do we feel we need to change ourselves unless some outside source has convinced us to? Children don't feel the need to change themselves "just for them" because they haven't yet begun to understand what society is expecting of them. Wouldn't it be great to have that same level of self-esteem? To not even recognize where "society" is telling us that we don't fit in? Which just reinforces the scriptural reference of "becoming childlike".

So, I suppose I have recognized where I need to let go, which are mainly societal pressures, and where I need to refocus, which is my home and family. I know that when I do this, my life seems so much more in balance and so much more peaceful. I'm going to strive to keep my eye on the "eternal perspective" and away from "who's doing what, wearing what, saying what" because simplicity dwells within the "eternal perspective" and my current goal is to obtain complete simplicity.

4 comments:

  1. Great insights! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe that you posted this today! Steve and I were just discussing this same thing last night - I told him that I am sick of feeling like being a 'Mom' and 'Wife' isn't good enough, why do I feel like I have to 'do' or 'be' something different to be something more?
    Thank you for sharing - funny that we both are having that inner-reflection thing going on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. THe way you worded that post was perfect! Often it feels like "life" gets in the way more than anything. Thanks for sharing some very personal thoughts. It definitely gives me a lot to think about and a lot that I know I need to work on! Being a Mom and a Wife is great and I wish the world saw that as enough, it'd be easier for us all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ditto. I appreciated your comments. :o)

    ReplyDelete