Many people have been asking me how "Miller Elementary" is going and I've finally found a couple of minutes to answer that question (if the girls continue to cooperate).
First and foremost, I have got to say, with the greatest of fervor, that homeschooling my children is definitely the most rewarding thing I have ever done in my entire life. I would never have guessed the positive effect that it would have had on me when I first started. Every single day, I can look back and say that I have changed my children's lives in a positive way, I have taught them something new, I have given them more and I have spent quality time with both of them and they are better kids than they were a few short hours before. I have been able to use the scriptures in my teaching with reading, spelling, verbal communication, history, personal development, etc, etc.
I have been able to teach US History in a very Christian kind of way, explaining that God is the founder of our Blessed Nation and that is was by the guidance of the Holy Ghost that man came to live on the American Continents. It was a wonderful experience to teach about how Christopher Columbus used only the guidance of the Holy Spirit, not his knowledge nor tools, to find his way here (from his own words). How amazing is that? Do you think they teach that to the children at public schools? Ummm...I think not!!
I have been so blessed by this change in our lives, far more than I ever could've imagined. I had assumed it was going to be "hard", that I wasn't "qualified", and that I would get resistance from the kids, but again, I was so wrong. It seems to come so easily, like when I'm teaching them a good choice from a bad choice. I'm able to counsel with them as I teach them and it's only made the bond between us that much stronger. I, without a doubt, feel the presence of the Spirit in my home while teaching. I know I'm doing the right thing even if I had doubted myself in the beginning. The Lord knew what I needed to do and I'm so so so glad that I opted to follow His guidance. I know it has been a blessing in my life and I'm hoping it's a blessing in the lives of my children, as well.
Now, as for those of you who are curious about my methods and curriculum, I have pretty much stayed the course that I had planned in the beginning.
I still REALLY like the Charlotte Mason method. I've found a wonderful website that I've gotten some curriculum off of and I've found it to work perfectly with the way I want to teach.
The areas where I have altered things a bit are...the schedule (I was trying to fit too much into one day and feeling stressed if we didn't get through it all) and using the Thomas Jefferson method.
I really like the Thomas Jefferson Education...I love the idea behind the method, but sadly enough, it doesn't work out with my schedule. I can't be that "follow me" type of teacher because I'm usually dealing with the twins while the kids are doing their work. BUT I do think I may go back to that method, to some degree, once the twinkies aren't so demanding and I have time to sit down and learn right along with them. I'm sure that as we continue through the remainder of the year, I will continue tweaking my method here and there, to make it a perfect fit for our family.
Again, I'm so grateful for this opportunity to teach my children. It's a priceless experience. I hope to continue to do homeschooling for Ellie and Emma, as well, just as long as that's the way that the Lord would have it.
Oh, one WONDERFUL thing about homeschooling....NO LAME SCHEDULE TO HAVE TO FOLLOW AND NO MORE HAVING TO ANSWER TO SOMEONE ELSE ABOUT MY CHILD!!! I've never liked it when the school's would call wondering why Hannah was late or absent or why we decided to take her out for a week to go on vacation.....UMMMM...she's my child, NOT THEIRS!!! I'm much happier now that I only answer to myself :)
I'm so glad that you updated how home schooling has been going, I'd been thinking about that exact thing! It sounds like it's working out perfectly for you both!
ReplyDelete