Well, my whole "I'm not gonna get on Facebook" thing, didn't go over as well as I had hoped BUT that fact has made me realize two things.
First, Facebook does have some very good things about it, mainly keeping me connected to my family. Would I prefer a different form of communication? Of course, but when everyone else prefers FB then I need to "do what the Romans do".
Second, I have figured out that Facebook truly does have an "addictive" factor to it. I noticed it seemed very similar to when I was addicted to caffeinated drinks....it's the first thing I want to do in the morning, I have to have it at every meal, I need it before I go to bed, and I can't seem to get enough of it.
Now I know that sounds like I'm trying to be funny but the truth is, that "I need it" factor felt the exact some way the "I need it" factor felt for Pepsi. Those of you who don't believe you're addicted to either Facebook or Caffeine, I suggest you go without them for a long period of time and see how many moments a day are filled with thoughts of them. If you are true to your own feelings and thoughts, you'll see exactly what I mean.
So, now I am officially labeling myself as a "recovering Facebook addict". I'm not sure how well my detox will go since I still communicate with my family on there. I think what I'm going to do is set some very firm limits that I must follow.
Now, you may think things like limiting the amount of time I'm on there will be on my list, but it won't. I feel that's like only having one cigarette a day....it becomes that much more important and that much more needed! No, what I'm going to do is put firm boundaries on my thoughts about Facebook (how I view it) and also on my feelings concerning it's importance.
Over the past little while, I've realized that Facebooking is very time consuming with nothing to show for it. At least with my blog, I create a book from it to keep as a type of history of my life.
So the question is...Will I still post random thoughts on Facebook...probably. Will I still read other people's random thoughts...more than likely. Will I begin finding my worth by the amount of "likes" "reposts" and "comments"....I sure hope not! Will I begin comparing my life to the censored posts of others...I better not! Will I remember that reality is in my home & actual life and not in the virtual world...you better believe it!
AMEN! This was the biggest reason I decided to get off facebook when President Draper suggested it. I get addicted to things very easily and it was WAY too consuming for me! Good luck :)
ReplyDeleteI really appreciate your ability to explain the FB phenomenon. Your explanation makes perfect sense. I was listening to a conference talk today, the one about "Time" and it reminded me again how on a daily basis we need to prioritize and balance how we are spending our time. Some uses are reasonable and sometimes those reasonable uses can turn into addictions. Very well said!
ReplyDeleteOk, so when I went to post that comment the word verification was "refer" LOL!!!!!
ReplyDelete