Sometimes I just have to wonder what's going through Gabe's little head. And it seems like as soon as I figure him out, I realize I haven't.
Today, I had to get very upset with Gabe because he wasn't following the rules concerning his baby sisters. He tends to like to grab onto their arms, get into their faces, and roll on top of them. We have been trying to break him of those habits practically since the day they were born!! But every day it's the same thing!! In fact, it can be just minutes between each of the offenses. I just can't imagine why he would do something that he was just told NOT to do...and that he's been told NOT to do for the past 20 months!!
So back to today. I had sent him to his room because he grabbing onto Emma's arms, which ended up twisting it and freaking me out because I don't want her to have another broken arm. I do want to state that I had told him less than two minutes prior to "let go of her arms!!"
I brought Gabe down from his room so we could talk about why he had gotten into trouble. We were sitting on the couch having a deep conversation about how I HATE to have to get upset with him but when he chooses not to follow the rules I have to, etc. I was truly trying to attempt to get something to seep into his adorable little head. I kept thinking..."this time I think he gets it. I can see it in his eyes". I just knew that I had found the right words to get through to him...I could tell by the way he was answering the questions and the sincere look on his face. And I believed it when he said he was doing it just because he thought they were "just so cute!". I understood his temptation but I had to, once again (for the millionth time), explain to him why he can't.
Then, in mid-"I think I'm getting through to him" thought, I see the look on his face change, his eyes light up and I could tell that I lost him. I quickly looked around as I tried to figure out what was causing his retreat, but saw nothing. In a split second, I saw all my carefully chosen words go out the window! I moved my face into his line of vision and asked "what?" as his now excited body, slowly slid down to the floor. Still confused I waited for his answer...."a fort!" Huh?!? A fort? What the heck was he talking about?!? Then his little body began crawling under my legs that were propped up onto the coffee table.
His little boy mind had gone from "yes, I'm listening and learning" to "Wow! Look at that fort that mom's legs are making" in a millisecond. HOW DOES THAT HAPPEN?!?!?!
I attempted to reel him back in and insisted that he sat back onto the couch. I tried hard not to show the grin on my face but I was so shocked by what I had just witnessed it was hard to hide. I looked him straight in the eye and began once again to get his attention. I wasn't sure if anything was getting through so I thought I'd ask him a question to see if he was actually listening to me. What was his response? "Wow! I can see myself in your eyes mom!!" Yes, that's right, he was looking me in the eyes but he wasn't listening to a single word I said...he was checking out his own reflection in my eyes!!
At that point I explained to him that he needed to concentrate on what I was saying because it was important...but all he was worried about was if I could see my reflection in his eyes.
Needless to say, our "please follow the rules" moment turned into an "aren't forts & reflections cool?" moment. Not exactly what I was looking for...
Maybe someday I'll figure it out...sigh!
As frustrating as this is for you, I couldn't help but chuckle, not in support of Gabe but because it's so "BOY." As a mother and a female, I just don't get the boy brain, and I'm always amazed at how the same boyish behavior that makes me smile and laugh because it's so out of this world, can also make me plumb mad because it too is out of this world. Dustin has responded the same way so many times it's frustratingly comical. Gotta love these little Stripling Warriors... they really are listening it's just sometimes the illogical risky curious part of their brain makes choices before their logical side of the brain registers that it's wrong.
ReplyDeleteHate to break it to you, but like Karie said, he's a boy! It's just how they work. They play rough, they are full of energy and life, the world is one big adventure out there to be met and enjoyed!
ReplyDeleteHe is very normal. The poor boy is all alone in a house full of girls all day long. He naturally will be rough and tough and he needs an outlet for it. My boys did the same things and the whole family has survived. Good luck!
ReplyDelete