Seriously, how hard can it be? Getting rid of (or should I say "sharing") half of everything I own? At first I think, OK that's do-able. But now, as I sit here deciding if I really do want to actually go count my shirts so that I can then figure out how many I need to get rid of, I'm beginning to wonder if I have enough self-control to even attempt such a thing. Today, I'm just suppose to work on my closet...that's it. Which includes my shoes, pants, capri's, sweaters, boots, shirts, etc. ALL OF IT, HALF GONE!! NO EXCEPTIONS!! I'm beginning to wonder how the others who were sitting beside me are doing? Amy? Rheanna? Rebecca? Melissa? Michelle (I saw you there)? And a few others...How is your major downsizing going? Because right now, I'm sitting here like a deer in the headlights!
So, for those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about, last night was the 1st week of an 8 week seminar on organization. I have put the lady's blog address in my list of friend's blogs. She talked about decluttering and she insists that everyone can easily give away half of what they own and feel emotionally better if they do. She also insists that when you half everything, instantly your housework almost cuts in half. So, here I sit wondering if I am going to take on this challenge. If I know myself, and I do, I want to become organized almost more than anything else, which tells me I better go upstairs, make my bed, pull out all of my shirts, and get started. "Just bite the bullet, Celeste. Just bite the bullet!" I will check in periodically to let you know how I'm progressing, or NOT progressing.
The lady's name is Marie Ricks. She has written several books about organization. She lives just east of me in Highland.
Are you just DI-ing them or selling them? I'd be happy to help take some of them off your hands! : )
ReplyDeleteI did a huge closet clean out before the clothing exchange and it really did feel good in the end! It was hard at the time, which was odd since some of what I gave away hadn't been worn for a looong time. Now I'm in the process of sorting all of my maternity clothes (except the few pieces I really did wear regularly) so that I can sell them. Even though I didn't even wear most of them this last time around, it's amazing the emotional attachment to some of it....
I'm bummed that I missed the class-I'm sure I'll be picking brains of all you ladies that go regularly to glean some good info from you!
Whatever Catey doesn't take, I'll take the rest...that is so I can swap out some things that I'm keeping because I have to (it's the only one I have), not because I want to!
ReplyDeleteBelieve it or not, I made justin go through all his stuff first and he was quite successful! Some things like jeans he only has 2 or 3 pairs so I didn't make him get rid of any. Other things he willingly gave up. I've been deep cleaning my house for a couple weeks, but I went back through my closet-Quite freeing actually! I think I just needed someone to tell me it's okay to give it away...for that matter-this will be a blog post for me tomorrow cuz I've got LOTS more to say!
Oh I'm totally going to check her blog out! Of course I'm ALWAYS cutting my stuff in half, I think I'm a bit ocd in that area, not sure why. I totally agree with the fact that having to much stuff can be emotionally overwhelming, which is why I think I like to purge. Another friend of mine read some book/article about this guy who tried to get all his belongings down to 100 things, that's a bit extreme. But I do think we can cut half of what we own down.
ReplyDeleteI've also tried to convince myself that the clothes I have are just fine and I don't need any new capris etc. Becuase everytime I purge I end up with other new things. Not that I wouldn't ever buy anything again, but if I'm not careful it defeats the purpose.
I can't wait to hear more about the seminar. Wish I could attend. It totally grabs my interest.
oh man! I wish I'd been able to go. You'll have to fill me in. It sounds like it was great! Seeing as how I got rid of half my clothes a year ago, and haven't bought more than a handful of new things since then I don't think I could get rid of half my clothes and still have much to wear. But now might be a good time to go through it all again anyway. Did she say anything besides "get rid of half your stuff and you'll have less work"?
ReplyDelete