So, the last little while I've been dealing with a situation that I have been trying desperately to not be offended by and yet, I think I am.
I realize that each of us are different and that we all have different ways to view life and our choices within this life but sometimes a situation comes along and I just cant, for the life of me, figure out why someone has made the choice they have made. Is it my business? not really, even if it did involve me but I can't seem to let it go.
I'm wondering if it's more "hurt" than "offended" or even a mixture of both, which really frustrates me because aren't we suppose to NOT be easily offended?
And then there's the "I know that person well enough to know why they made that choice" running through that head. And is that fair? Do I really KNOW why they made the choice they did. Maybe...but maybe not!
I think my issue with the whole thing is that I would never make the choice that the other person made. I obviously have a completely different view than the other individual. And if I DID make that choice, my intentions would not be a good sign to the other individual, which is where I'm struggling. What if they feel the way I would have to feel to make that decision? I don't think that's the case but what if?
I feel it's a case of "I don't have to do that. That would be very inconvenient for me so why do it?" And my response would be...."No, you don't have to do that BUT you also don't have to NOT do that because you feel imaginary pressure that you have to" (if that makes any sense).
Example: You don't have to invite your child's friend's little brother to your child's birthday party but the imaginary pressure (or our society) would say that that would be polite and you should. So instead you'd say, "Well, really I don't have to invite him. He's not my child's friend, really. He's more of a tag-along. I feel it's fair to just invite my child's friend without feeling bad for not inviting their sibling no matter how I know it'll make the little brother feel. It doesn't matter that they usually all three play together. So, I'm NOT going to do it just because I feel I have to do it..." to which I would say...."No you don't have to do it but you also don't have to NOT do it just to make a point". Kinda like the girls that choose not to wear a bra because everyone says they should. Does that make any sense?
So, anyway, I'm struggling because now I feel the walls forming around me to protect myself from what might be coming next from this person. I feel myself doing the separation thing, which really bugs me. I feel the annoyance setting in and I don't want to feel annoyed by this person. I feel sad because I think it was more of a selfish decision and that my feelings were not even considered. I feel very hurt because, again, I'd never make the choice they made. Nope not me...I just don't get it.
Poor me, I know, just wallowing in my own Pity Party. I just needed to vent. I needed to get it off my chest even if it was in very general terms. Maybe I'm hoping someone else has experienced something similar and has wonderful advice for me...because I really do want to move past this...but I can't seem to!
Vent away sista'! I would assume that most every human being experiences this in various degrees. The difficult part as you expressed is that our individual choices may differ depending on our perspective, or social norms. Either way, I think that when it gets under the skin, ultimately maybe the only thing that can help is constant prayer to not become bitter towards the person, even if it seems justified (oh so easily said than done!). I know, I know, all those primary answers, pray, get a blessing, LOL. Ugh! You are one of the most logical level headed and charitable persons I know, and you always amaze me at how you are able to rise above these situations and work through it. But, like you, I hate that nagging feeling that persists in these moments. Yuck!
ReplyDeleteI know you are sleepy, but show us some pics of your little darlings already!!! I have checked your blog once a day for awhile now just hoping....
ReplyDelete