Monday, May 7, 2012

...Even if You Stand Alone

Last Friday Hannah had a birthday party to go to. It was for one of her closest friends, which also happens to be in our ward.  She was so excited about it because it was going to be 6 hrs long!!

The party started out awesome...she went bowling, ate pizza & fries, and played field games with all the rest of the kids. The final thing on the agenda for the party was to watch a movie.

I realize that my standards aren't everyone else's standards and I often find myself being the "odd one out" because I have such firm, conservative boundaries when it comes to my children and the home I create for them. I am very picky when it comes to what media sources come into my home and the amount of time the kids are allowed to use them. It's just who I am and the way I feel most comfortable parenting my kids. Sometimes, though, I forget everyone doesn't view things the way I do.

A few months ago I went on a "girls night out" with some friends. We went to dinner and then a movie. The movie was considered a "family movie" and I was actually really excited to see if because it looked cute and it was PG! 

Well, it turned out to be a major disappointment...not "story line" wise, because it was a really cute movie, but when it came to the language, I was SO surprised!! They had a little girl (about 5) swearing in it!  I was like...What?!?  Why would they add that in there? This is suppose to be a family movie!!

The cussing was completely irrelevant...it wasn't like it was war scene with lots of stress & action, you know?  It was completely unnecessary!  It just broke my heart because I had hoped to see the movie again as a "family night out"...but there's no way I'd take my kids to that movie knowing, first of all, the swearing, and secondly, it was marketed to kids (totally against my principles).

So, I'm assuming you've already figured out that it was that same movie that was being shown at the party.

I get a text from Hannah telling me that was the movie they were going to watch and she wanted to know if it was ok for her to watch it. She knew what I thought of the movie because she had heard me complain about it for several days after I had seen it.

This is where I failed as a mom, and this is why I'm writing this post...

I knew in my heart that I didn't want her to see it. I knew in my heart that it wasn't appropriate. I knew I needed to tell her not to but I also knew it should be her choice...she's almost 12 now.

I went to text back and felt the "Am I too strict?" doubts creeping into my head. I really wanted her to enjoy herself and I knew she would feel really uncomfortable/embarrassed if I made her leave early. I had a feeling that she'd make the right choice so I simply said something like..."That's ok. It has cussing in it though. What do you think?"

As soon as I hit send, I knew I had worded it wrong. I knew as soon as she read the words "That's ok" she would feel I was giving her the green light, and she did. She chose to stay.

I felt really uncomfortable the rest of the evening. And I kept hoping my memory wasn't 100% accurate and that maybe there weren't as many as I thought there had been.  When I picked her up, we spoke a little on the subject and I could tell that she had an issue with the swearing but as I did, she thought it was cute anyway.

When we got home, I heard her telling Greg..."It had some cussing in it but it was still really cute!"

Those words were like knives to my heart!! I had just taught my amazing daughter to justify watching a movie with swearing in it because it was cute.  I'M SUCH A MAJOR LOSER!!!

I spoke with Greg after the kids were in bed and he seemed disturbed by it to. But I explained to him that I had began my texting to her with "That's ok". I TOLD HER IT WAS OK TO WATCH A MOVIE WITH SWEARING IN IT!!  What was I thinking?!?!?  We then spoke about how we needed to talk with her and somehow undo that justification because we both knew we couldn't let this get by us. Even though I began the problem (Hannah knew she shouldn't watch the movie or else she wouldn't have texted me) we both knew we had to try and fix it.

This morning I was reading from the Ensign. I had gotten to the back where the talks to the Young Women are. Since I'm now in the YW Presidency, I thought it would be a good idea to quickly read over them. I began with the talk by Sis Dibb  "Arise and Shine Forth".

After reading it, I knew exactly what to do. During our breakfast I brought up the subject. I asked Hannah how she felt about watching that movie. Those dreaded words again..."It had some swearing but it was still really cute." I wanted to cry!

I then went into my apology and told her I hadn't been a good example. I hadn't showed her the right path. I was too busy worrying about her "having fun" and "fitting in" and my own insecurities to stand up for what I knew was right. I also explained that I didn't want to offend the other mother, because I think she's awesome and I didn't want her to think I was judging her.

I told her I was so sorry and that I had made the wrong choice when wording her text ("That's ok").  I explained that I should have told her how I felt about the movie and then just let her choose.

This is when the dagger was shoved deeper into my heart.

Hannah's reply..."yea, I was really surprised when you told me it was ok because I knew it has swearing in it." I felt like a TOTAL loser!!  She would now see me differently, even though I was trying to fix my mistake.

I again apologized. 

Hannah then said that she knew she shouldn't have watch the movie, even after I told her it was OK, but the thought of being the only one to leave (and the fact the the two other Mormon girls weren't) made her really uncomfortable. I told her I understood but we both should have stood up for what we know is right.

Then a quote from the talk I had just read came into my mind. I ran over and began reading it to Hannah.  I got all choked up because once again, the shame was rising within me.

The quote read...

"My young friends, be strong...You know what is right and what is wrong, and no disguise, however appealing, can change that....If your so-called friends urge you to do anything you know to be wrong, you be the one to make a stand for right, even if you stand alone."

..."you be the one to make a stand for right, even if you stand alone"...those words rang out with truth and I explained to Hannah that we both failed to do that. We were both worried about what others thought of us and we can't let it happen again.  Hannah agreed with me and we both shed a few tears over our learning experience.

It's times like these that make me grateful for the Ensign, for the words of the Prophet, and for our Savior's forgiveness.

I can only hope that my bad example doesn't end up hurting Hannah in the long run. She's never been one to bend with the wind...and I had given her the "go ahead" to do so. I hope she realizes that I was wrong and should NEVER have handled that situation the way I did.

I think I am going to make a plaque to hang on my wall with those words...

"Be the one to make a stand for right, even if you stand alone!"

4 comments:

  1. I think that it is good for our children to see that even adults make mistakes (hopefully not pre-meditated),that we are still affected by peer pressure, and that we can seek forgiveness and repent. The same day I got your blog post my son came home in tears because he was the only one who has not seen The Avengers. This is a constant tender battle with boys. You know how much I'm immersed in the military, yet I still believe that we must build and prepare these boys to be warriors of truth and light, and that starts with what we choose as our entertainment (this is not a dig at the Avengers, I've not watched and we really hadn't even thought of the movie, too busy that weekend and I had not checked commonsense media on it's rating reviews anyway.)But my son has always been the odd man out with his peers at school and church, with other boys who have been entrenched with PG-13 movies, violent video games and some books (including Twilight which some of these boys read at 8! can you imagine!) during their elementary years It's hard, he's almost 11, but ultimately he's NOT 13, and I have pretty strong feelings about ratings and how much we expose our children too at such an early age. For the most part he is careful about his choices but still feels drawn to those things that everyone else gets to do. As we move in to the future the last days will not be as much a physical war as it will be a war of idiologies and theologies, therefore I think it's so important that what we put into our minds will still allow us to feel the spirit because THAT will be the only thing that will be able to keep us on the right track in the days ahead AND will keep our children out of the grasps of filth, pornography and not standing out in the crowd per say.

    I think your experience was a powerful one and thank you for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karie, I knew you'd understand my position that's why I love being with you. I don't feel so "odd" because we seem to see things in a very similar way. I love the quote about the "ant spray" (2nd comment). I know you shared that with me before but it was just as powerful the second time around! :)

      Delete
  2. another note regarding not being 13 yet, our goal is, we hope, that our kids will understand that even when they turn 13 it doesn't mean that any PG-13 movie is a free for all. Our hope is that they will still check the movie out on sites such as commonsens media and compare it to what the standards are in the Strength of Youth and then make a decision on whether they should watch it or not. At least in our home we will continue to make sure the media we choose is consistent with the standards. It reminds me of an analogy our Stake RS Pres recently told us about some fire ant bait that she picked up in the store. She said the label said "The ants do all the work so you don't have to - they carry the poison in to their homes and it will kill the queen and the rest of the colony" her counsel to us was "what types of poisons are you bringing in your homes, Satan's job is often easy because we do the work for him. (Hopefully you know I'm not saying you did that regarding the situation with Hannah, I'm relating this story because of our constant challenge of what types of media we choose which can often be at odds with even church members)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS...LOVE the new profile pic!! You're beautiful...inside and out! :)

      Delete