that so many people are so ignorant to the fact that racism is alive and well.
After finishing my bazillion posts today, I went and started checking all of my friends and their friends and their friends blogs. I have to say that I was very disheartened by the comments about...now that we have a black president, racism no longer exists and that affirmative action is no longer required! (not that I'm saying I'm a huge fan of affirmative action but that doesn't mean it's not needed!) I only got about 5-6 blogs/posts into it before I had to stop reading.
Doesn't anyone read the newspaper or watch the news?!? There has already been an assassination attempt on Obama that was stopped!! Are we all blind?!? I give the benefit of the doubt to those who have only lived in the mid-west but it does no good to assume that the other areas of this country aren't racist! We're only hindering our children and making them as ignorant as we are if we teach them that it's no longer valid. I am seriously just sick to my stomach about this! It's times like this when I am scratching at the walls of this clueless bubble we live in trying to get out!
It's amazing what knowledge can do. Maybe everyone out there should educate themselves!! Then we can work together to make this world a better place and not just be oblivious to the world around us!!
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI'm so long winded. I posted a comment and then after much thought realized more specifically what I wanted to say.
ReplyDeleteMy thoughts:
1. Unfortunatley racism is not dead. I was amazed at the historical moment of the election, regardless of who voted for McCain or who voted for Obama. It was amazing to see how far America has come. With that said, it's still not very far, just baby steps. It won't magically take racism away and won't magically make whites and blacks get along.
2. I think of my own experiences, sometimes feeling the prejudice of others in regards to my religion. Still I'm big enough to admit that it in no way compares at all to what a black person is faced with on a day to day basis. Having a black president probably wont change that very much unfortunatley. I can walk into a store and no one would ever know my religion, but a black person can't hide their skin.
3. I've often heard the debate that well "there are blacks who are prejudice against whites". Well, hello! wouldn't you hate it if everywhere you went you were judged by your color? The fact is, that whites have always had the upper hand, in business, in school, etc. We've not always had to prove ourselves, we make it because we are white and don't have a lot of road blocks in our way. Somehow I think some whites think "hey, since we have a black president you can't complain anymore", but it's so easy for us to say because we've not walked in their shoes. It's still not even playing ground, affirmative action or not. Studies have proven that black names usually get looked over on resumes. There needs to be balance but we are not there yet. As whites it would be very unproductive to just assume that the centuries of injustice are swollowed up in one election.
4. I could go on and on. I base most of my thoughts on the hard working blacks who are trying to burst out of the stereotype but keep getting dragged down by the blacks who want to stay in the stereotype.
5. we have a long road.