One of my favorite things we visited was the old ruins. I just love stuff like that because I try to imagine what life was like back then. I like how it's just so full of history!! If walls could talk!! Again, I was amazed that there was no one there to make sure the site wasn't vandalized. That's just crazy to me! Here are some pics...
Here we are standing in the doorway. I can't believe the entire place was carved out of a rock, or I should say, a HUGE volcanic rock!! Just crazy!!
Here's a pic that shows part of the rock that it was build from. You can't see really well here but the rock is it's wall and then they broke up the stone smaller and build around it. Very cool especially considering the fact that they didn't have power tools!!
Here's the inside view...I just can't help but wonder what it looked like when it wasn't in ruins.
Here's Dare-Devil Steve taking a pic from the highest point. He had to scale a couple of walls to get there!
So this was a pit carved out of the volcanic rock that Aruba is made out of. At first I didn't think much of it until we realized that on all four corners there were broken off posts/bars. As I took a closer look, I realized that it had been covered by something at one time or another. We all decided that it was some sort of jail or torture chamber that was covered by bars so that no one could get out. Then when the tide was high, it would fill with water and possibly drown the people within it, or at least freak them out a bit, as it filled with water. We all took our turns climbing down into the pit. I have to admit, it was somewhat freaky to think about what may have happened in the pit, especially when I had crawled down inside of it but it doesn't look like it phased Greg at all!!
Here we are posing infront of the beautiful water, on the top part of the pit. It really was very beautiful!!
Here is a pic of a stone tower I made on the beach, just outside the ruins. These little & big towers were EVERYWHERE!! Again, no plaque or anything to explain what they were or what they represented. Mine is the middle one in the pic. I'm hoping I didn't build some "tower of prayer" to some strange god that I'm not suppose to be worshiping!! I do plan on looking it up on the internet and see what I can find out. If I do, I'll let y'all know! It would be fun to return a few years from now and see if it's still standing but I'm sure I won't get that chance.

After we went to the ruins, we went to go see the Baby Natural Bridge. There was a huge Natural Bridge that collapsed in 2005 right next to the Baby Bridge, wish I could've seen it before it was just a pile of rocks! Here's the collapsed Natural Bridge...It doesn't look too big from the pic but if you scroll down, I have a photo that will put it all into perspective.
Here's a pic of the Baby Bridge...check out all the trash in the water!! Not sure where it came from but I'm assuming from out at sea.

I asked Greg to take a pic of me sitting on the edge of the baby bridge. He didn't want me to get that close to the edge because he was afraid I'd fall.
Here's the pic that will put all the "size" stuff into perspective. This is a pic I took when I climbed on top of the collapsed natural bridge. It's the same height as the edge that I climbed onto. Now if you look in the right-hand top corner you can see a man fishing. Yes that little white speck is a man. Click on the pic and you'll be able to see him better. Put things into perspective, doesn't it!

Here's a pic of Steve, Ashley & Elsie checking out the waves.
Here's a pic of Steve, Ashley & Elsie checking out the waves.
Lovin' the documentary...makes me miss the good times we had in Aruba together...we should go back in a few years, just to see if your "rock tower" is still standing - that's a good enough reason, right?!?!?
ReplyDeleteWow! the water is so beautiful. I can't understand why they don't have information on the history of the area, what a bummer. Don't they understandt hat inquiring minds want to know?? Now I'm curious. Super cute picture of Elsie!
ReplyDeleteCan't wait for more pictures!