Today I decided to be brave. To do something that I've been dreading to do for over 2 1/2 months. I've been putting it off because to tell you the truth I, in no way, wanted to know how it would turn out. I just knew it would be bad.....really reeeealllllly bad!!
But this morning I felt like I could handle the outcome. I could stand there face-to-face with it and not run. I could be strong and realize that there's only one way to go from here. Besides, I needed a good wake up call to help me head in the right direction. Something had to get through this hard head of mine!!! And I knew, this would do the trick....BUT I feared it may push me a little too far...somewhere a person like me finds hard to return from. But again, it had to be done.
So, I headed into the craft/play room (this house is the same square footage as our last house but has one less room...so my craft room got combined with the kid's playroom...let me just tell you, I'm thrilled about that! jk) where the dreadful item is kept. I stopped to look at it, wondering if I could really do what I needed to do. I almost chickened out but I managed to stay focused on the goal. I MUST MOVE ON!! I MUST GET A GRIP ON THIS!! I MUST TAKE THE FIRST STEP!! Off to the bathroom I went...enemy in hand!
I sat the dreadful thing on the floor and just looked at it. I slowly raised the cord to the wall and plugged in it...almost there...almost the moment of truth!! Could I really do it?!? I took a step back to look at the seemingly innocent item but I knew just how heartless the small gray square could be. I knew it could rip my heart out in a matter of seconds...take the breath right out of my lungs...throw millions of daggers at my heart. I knew it was ruthless and unforgiving. I also knew what I had to do. After taking a nice LONG breath in, I gently stepped onto it's center. I waited for what seemed like an eternity....watching the little digital numbers rising and rising!! WOULD THEY EVER STOP!?!?!? At last they did. I just sat there staring at the numbers and then stepped off. My mind was reeling, trying to decipher the information it had just gained. My brows furrowed...then I did what I never thought I'd do in such a situation...I stepped back on. Again the digital numbers, again the eternity waiting for them to stop...and again, my mind trying to make sense of the situation. Could that be right?!? Then something happened I didn't expect AT ALL....a slight grin formed across my face but was quickly swallowed up by a look of confusion. How can that be?
I'm sure by now you have figured out that I was dealing with my Nemesis, the digital scale!!! Always my enemy...always!!! Having dealt with eating disorders for many years of my life, I've come to truly, truly HATE scales!!! In fact, it wasn't til I was about to have my babies when I finally looked on the computer at the doctors office to see how much I weighed. I always turn around when they weighed me, so I couldn't see the results, just so I didn't get some mental reaction to the more-than-likely unfriendly number. But by the time I was as big as a house, the curiosity got the best of me!! I just HAD to peek. When I did, I was surprised...very surprised!! I almost had some sort of "I'm gonna stop eating" reaction but I was able to talk myself out of it very easily because I had to keep eating for my little miracles that were inside of me. So, for the rest of the pregnancy, I was fine.
At my 2 week appointment, after the babies were born (as I stated in an earlier post), I had only 1 "baby pound" to lose, when compared to the weight I was at my first visit. Still not sure how I did that one!! Anyway, I was thrilled and thankful I didn't have to deal with "weight" issues.
Then comes the month of my babies in the hospital, the fact that we were moving 2 weeks after they were out of the hospital, the other fact that I would have no friend or family where I was moving to help with my little ones, then the ALWAYS DREADED unpacking!! It really freaks me out!! Stuff everywhere completely shuts me down mentally!!! Add all that to... sleepless nights, missing my friends/family, lots of babies crying, the two older kids crying because they miss their friends/family, Greg being gone on multiple business trips that seemed to last forever....and what do you get??
EATING!!! LOTS AND LOTS OF EATING... and not just regular food. We're talking yummy, yummy non-figure friendly foods that taste SO GOOD going in and have some unknown way of making the uncontrollable world around me seem not so bad!! I found happiness in eating....like so many other Americans!
Well, I've been just freaked out about the amount of weight I was sure I had gained. I mean, my middle area is completely out-of-hand and I just knew it was from all of those "oh-so-yummy" Oreos!! I began making small changes like...no soda, cutting back on the Oreos (only a half of box per sitting ;) and only allowing myself 2 glasses of super-yummy chocolate milk per day...(remind me to buy stock in Nestles Nesquick the next time you see me...and who says you only need 2 Tablespoons of the powder? I think it should be more like 4!!!) But, I noticed several weeks in, that nothing seemed to be changing...well, changing, yes, but not in the direction I thought it would. I seemed to be getting bigger, despite the changes I had made. What's the deal?!? I was so bummed.
Then the Holiday Bootie Buster Challenge came along. I knew I needed motivation and I was hopeful this would do it. I also knew I needed to know where my "beginning" point was so that I could track my progress.....hence the dreaded scale!!!
Now this is where the confusion comes in...all you mothers out there who have gone through a pregnancy, advice or explanations would be greatly appreciated! So, my very expensive, very accurate shipping scale (got it when I was on a major "lets sell everything on eBay" kick), told me that I haven't gained a pound!! NOT ONE TINY ITSY BITSY POUND!!! (Of course, it also told me I haven't lost any either...the pessimist in me)
Again, I say...How can that be?!? If I haven't gained a bunch of pounds then why is my stomach so big? I vividly remember early on thinking that I didn't have a huge stomach for just having twins. Yes, it was a bit saggy and squishy, but wasn't that to be expected? Now I look like I'm pregnant again...seriously...and I am not overreacting!! Leave it up to Gabe to keep asking me if I have another baby in my belly!! Love that kid!
So I'm thrilled with the results of the dreaded weigh-in but...VERY VERY confused!! Not sure what to think? Any suggestions?!? Anyone else dealt with this? Anyone?
Uh...so you do know that my first two are only 10 1/2 months apart??? When i wondered the same thing....I WAS pregnant!!! just saying.....
ReplyDeleteCeleste, about a week after I had Griffin I fit into my old jeans, the ones I used to wear before I was pregnant. I was thrilled! I thought, "maybe finally I can get back to having a slim figure" (which I did have once upon a time, believe it or not.) The last week or so I still fit the jeans, but I look at myself in the mirror and think, "Seriously, how do I look so much worse in just a few short weeks." I thought I looked good on Sunday, but when I went in the bathroom and saw myself in the full length mirror I wanted to cry, or at the very least run home and change. I started working out every day on Monday and I am hoping that with a good workout and some changes I will someday be happy when I look in the mirror again. I'm just saying, it's not just you! The only comfort I have is that my sweet children are worth every pound. My third child was the one who did me in. I haven't looked the same since, despite working out and cutting out soda. So, I could use some advice too. Love you!!!
ReplyDeleteJust know you aren't alone!
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteJenn: You do remember how we got pregnant with the twins, right?!? Though I've heard of stranger things...it better NOT be the case!!
ReplyDeleteHeather: Feel free to vent anytime you want to...I like knowing that I'm not alone in all of this! And I definitely agree with you about the babies being TOTALLY worth it!! I wouldn't go back and change ANYTHING!!! Even if I had gained 50lbs it would have all been worth it...100%!!!! You'll have to let me know how your exercising is going... I'm starting the "bootie challenge" on Saturday and hope to get some results from it!! Wish me luck!!! :)
Loss of muscle mass. nice huh? Same reason I can weigh 10lbs more than I used to but still fit in the same size jeans. You know how people say that muscle weighs more than fat? While a pound of muscle obviously weighs the same as a pound of fat, a pound of fat is a lot bigger than a pound of muscle because muscle is more dense. Think of how many feathers you would have to bundle up to get a pound of feathers, and yet you could get a pound of very dense material into something the size of a golf ball. (sorry, I am SO lacking in analogies lately! lol)
ReplyDeleteAnyway! Not saying you are fat by any means-you looked absolutely fantastic when you left here a few months ago and I'm sure you look even more fantastic now! (you always do!) but as the composition of our bodies changes, the ratio of weight to size changes.
The bonus is that as you build muscle, your body will automatically burn more calories just to sustain itself, so you will be amping up your metabolism too and start seeing results faster.
btw-you are so much stronger than I am...the scale is that one part of my issues I've never been able to let go of. Every. single. morning. Charts tracking my daily weigh-ins.....it's a mess!
and one more btw-(maybe I should have just used PS and PPS? lol) Ashely and Maryanne are joining in the Bootie Buster challenge, along with a handful of others in the neighborhood! We should have plenty of blogs to drag for motivation! :)
Seriously ladies, of all of the important things we can/need/should do with our time we all spend way too much time looking in the mirror wondering how we can become "better". My question that I have to ask myself often is "whose version of yardstick am I measuring myself by? The Lords, or the worlds?
ReplyDeleteSorry just had to get that off my chest. I am all for exercise, nutrition, and being your best you that you can but the obsession that surrounds this topic has got to stop. We deserve to give ourselves more credit for the things we can/do accomplish that has nothing to do with our bodies. We deserve better and women around us also deserve better. We have been called to lead the women of the world, not to be lead by them.
With that said throw your scale away and go be your best self. Whatever size and weight that is :)
Tiffany, I love your truthfulness!! Thanks!!
ReplyDeleteI, too, agree with your statement...completely!! That's why I don't keep a scale in my bathroom and had to go find the scale in the craftroom. I'm obviously not as far along as you are on this subject. I have suffered many years with eating disorders...the stories are many...and I still haven't been able to come to grips with the fact that I still don't weigh 105 lbs., as silly as that sounds. Now, I've come a LONG way! I really have. I've been content in my size 7/9 jeans which 10 years ago would not have been the case. I know I'm not fat, believe me but I also know that I want to not have my stomach hanging over my jeans, you know? Like I told Heather, I wouldn't change it for the world...the girls are totally worth it even if I ended up weighing 200 lbs.
The world is tough on us as women, very tough! And yes, we need to stand as examples to the rest of the women out there. But I also think we need to be good stewards with what the Lord has given us. We need to care for our "temple" and make it the best we can. I'm all for exercising to become healthier, as is the church, but I'm not for surgeries to change my body. I would never (I hope) get a tummy tuck to reduce my waist, for example.
This is a tough subject. Lots swirling around in my head. I agree with you but I also know that I'm not there yet! I want to be healthy, I want enjoy this life, I want to NOT care what others think, I want to be the best me...I'm still just trying to figure out how to get there.
One more thing, I do believe that we will be held accountable for how we cared for our bodies. Bodies that are healthier live longer...if we live longer we can then proclaim the word longer, change someone's view about the church, or many many other things. We must be good stewards, we can't just bury our "talent" and expect a reward. We must do our best with what we have. Does that make any sense?
I agree 100%.
ReplyDeleteI think balance is the ticket when finding the path to becoming our best selves. I hope when I personally find that path I will recognize it and not worry about what others might think my "path" should be.
Great thoughts :)
Celeste, I just checked your blog. Your girls are so darling! They grow so fast. I hope that things are going well. I liked your post and I have struggled with the same things you have. I remember after I had Jack I was so worried that I would slip back into some of my "high school" ways. I remember looking in the mirror and saying "This is my body, I cannot complain about it. I need to do everything that I can do to make it the best body that makes me and the Lord happy" So I did and I am happy. I'm so grateful for a body that works and allows me "run and not be weary". You look fantastic and it is important to feel fantastic. I can find myself, at times, feeling like I don't measure up "bodywise" and something always puts me back in my place. The other day someone said something very unkind to me, she seemed to be celebrating the fact that I was having a hard time losing the baby weight. I totally let this ruin my day (lets be honest) my week! I realized this was one of Satan's tools to allow us to use body image to make others feel inferior. Sorry, I'm babbling on. I just feel so strong about this right now! I keep thinking about what my mother taught me. "Look the best you can when you leave the house and then don't think about it again. Think about others!" I was feeling so obsessed about it the other day and I picked up President Uchtdorf's talk from Priesthood session. It was perfect! I completely agree about taking care of our bodies, but there has to be a way of doing it without making yourself and everyone else feel less. Not that you were doing that;) Wow! Now you probably think I'm insane! I just hate how hard we are on ourselves.
ReplyDeletePS. They are TOTALLY worth it!
Tiffany, just realized I don't have your blog on my blog list. Tried to click on it, from your comment, but your private. If you are willing, I'd love to be invited :)
ReplyDelete