Saturday, November 28, 2009

Aruba Vacation-Part 1

So, we have been planning a get-away to Aruba for about 6 months now. Our friends, Ashley & Steve, came with us. We left our little ones (except Elsie, she came with) with friends and family!! Thanks again Catey for watching our children!! Nine kids @ church?!? You are one brave woman!!
Anyway, once we were at the airport, it all became real. We were on our way!! YIPPEE!!

So after our 5 minute stint in 1st class, compliments of Steve ;)...we were on our way to Aruba!! Here are the guys during our layover...


Here's Greg curled up in a chair attempting to take a nap. Remember, he's 6'3"!!!


Looks like Steve opted for the more comfortable route...Ashley's shoulder.


We finally made it to Aruba after a very, very, very long set of flights. I personally didn't think it was too bad because I slept most of the way. Steve got a few minutes of shut-eye BUT Greg & Ashley didn't have a visit from the sandman. Needless to say, they were exhausted by the time we got to our rooms.


Here we are bright-eyed & bushy-tailed and ready for our 1st full, non-zombie-fied day in Aruba.


Greg and I on the steps of the lighthouse. We had hoped that we'd get to tour the lighthouse but that wasn't the case. Infact, most of the tourist stops in Aruba are pretty much a "self-serve" kind of thing. No history plaques, or stats to read. No tour guides. No marked paths or "watch out for cactus" signs (Greg could've used that). It was pretty much just walk up to the item of interest and check it out.


While we were taking pics of the Lighthouse, the "LOVE MACHINE" drove up. Ashley had to get a pic of it for Livy because it was pink!! We took advantage of the mobile attraction and took pics infront of it. Here's Greg and I lovin' the Love Machine!


The back of the Love Machine was pretty funny. It's bumper sticker said "Real Men Love Jesus". For a moment, I thought we had somehow went through the "time-traveling Tunnel of Love" and found ourselves in Texas!! Who knew there were others out there, besides Texans, that would sport such a bumper sticker! Of course, our "real men" had to pose for a pic of the lovable sticker.

The island of Aruba was a pretty weird "tropical" place because it was covered by cactus!! They were everywhere!!! What kind of "tropical" island is a desert? I thought this pic was funny because the cactus are practically on the beach and you can see the ocean right over the hill. Very, very odd!!

When we drove by this house, I just had to get a picture. It's yard was like a Christmas themed yard sale/thrift store!! The picture doesn't do the yard justice because it all wouldn't fit into the frame of my camera. But believe me, it was quite a sight to see!! Now, if you can, zoom in on the pic and notice the poster on the side of the garage...it's on the right-hand side on the white building. Go ahead, check it out!!!..........................................................................................................................Now, you might be saying, since when does a pin up of a girl go along with massive Christmas decorations, to which I would reply, I have no idea. They must feel that Jesus is ok with young ladies exploiting themselves!!

Now, if you don't have a Christmas tree to decorate because they don't grow on your island, what do you do?? You use the cactus across the street from your home of course!! Don't be silly!! Obviously they didn't feel that decorating their ENTIRE yard was enough so they decorated the cactus across the street.

So that's it for part 1....hope you enjoyed it.

Part 2 is coming soon!!

3 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a great time...so far...can't wait for the rest :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I am glad that you are going in to a lot of detail with the pics from our trip...I felt too overwhelmed with my 200+ pics, but 600?!?! You did take a lot of pics, lovin' the memories...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah! I was hoping you would post pictures soon. Looks like a blast! I had no idea that Aruba had cactus LOL! I'm totally digging the Love machine and uhm that yard with the pinup girl made me want to organize and clean it up. What an eye sore!

    ReplyDelete