Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Poop vs. Shots....and the Winner is....

Yesterday, I realized that Gabe hasn't pooped since last weeks fun adventure at the hospital, when he literally crapped all over the floor and was standing in his own puddle of liquid poop. Quite a fun an exciting story that I might share later, if I have the time (because sitting on this couch with my feet up is so time consuming and such hard work!!).

So to help him out, yesterday I added a package of FiberAll to his morning juice and hoped that would do the trick.

....for those of you who don't know, Gabe HATES going poop!! Seriously HATES it!! He usually does it when he's asleep at night and his body probably can't hold it in any longer! Not sure what I'm gonna do about that.....

Well, this morning he woke up and he hadn't pooped during the night. I was so bummed because today marks day 7 of not going poop! That just can't be healthy!! So, I decided to use a trick that a friend used with her little girl...."you either poop or I'm taking you to the doctor and he's gonna give you a shot to make you poop!" At first, Gabe just sat there not sure what to do, like he couldn't believe I'd do something so horrible to him! He is not a fan of shots...but what kid is? I waited for his response and as I knew he would, he started crying. Crying because he doesn't want to poop "because it's hard". Crying because he doesn't want "bleed" to come out of his arms. Crying because he had to chose one or the other and wanted a third option..."neither". The poor little guy was an emotional wreck BUT I knew it was for the best! I have to get through to him that it's not healthy to not poop!!

After about 5 minutes of crying and crying some more, trying to plead his case, he calmed down enough for me to get an answer from him. He promised he'd try and poop today!! YEAH!! VICTORY....well in a way....it still wouldn't be in the toilet, which would have been an ULTIMATE VICTORY!! So, I left his room grateful for the "doctors gonna give you a shot" advice and was feeling good about the situation. BUT about 2 minutes later, Gabe came into my room, with his head held high and confident in whatever he was about to tell me. He informed me that he'd changed his mind. He wanted to go to the doctors for the shot. That was his choice because he DID NOT want to go poop.

I stood there dumb-founded and then began raising the number of shots from 1 to many! I started pointing to all the places they'd give him shots and he just sat there, straight faced, and accepted all I had to say. He'd made his choice....multiple shots that would cause his "bleed" to come out, over just taking a poop in his diaper!!!!!

What do I do with this?!?!? I just sat there stunned!! What child would chose multiple shots over going to the bathroom?!? He's just so different from Hannah. She's so logical and he's just so stubborn. If he doesn't want to do something...he'd rather deal with the awful consequences than do it!! And he just turned 4yrs old a few days ago!! Imagine what he's gonna be like at 14yrs!!!

Anyway, I added more FiberAll to his juice this morning. Hopefully his body will get rid of the poop before I have to figure out how to get his doctor to give him tons of shots in various locations on his body!

I wonder if Dr. Wise takes bribes?!? Hmmmmmm...I'll have to check into that :)

1 comment:

  1. Ok, so where is the rest of the story? did the Fiberall work? :o)

    ReplyDelete