Warning!!
The subject matter of this post may be upsetting to those of you
who think I'm saying bad things about your choices when, in all actuality,
I'm only saying good things about my choices.
Those of you who have a negative opinion on Homeschooling:
who think I'm saying bad things about your choices when, in all actuality,
I'm only saying good things about my choices.
Those of you who have a negative opinion on Homeschooling:
Read at your own Risk!!
Ok, now that my disclaimer is out of the way...I've got A LOT to say!! :)
Since Hannah was Pre-schooled age, I've had a feeling that I needed to homeschool her. I've always felt like it was what I was suppose to be doing and that it was actually my "job" to do so. The Lord had left a wonderful little daughter of God in my stewardship and it was up to me to educate her for her life here on the earth.
Before the beginning of each school year, the same feelings and impressions would enter into my mind..."you need to be homeschooling Hannah"..."she needs to be home with you". Each year I would find some way to justify why I "couldn't" homeschool Hannah....I had a new baby (Gabe), Hannah needs socializing (which I've never bought into but peer pressure made me question myself), I don't have time with everything I have to do, why? when most of the kids will be LDS, etc., etc. I always found a reason not to instead of looking for the reasons I should.
Well, again, this school year was rapidly approaching and again, the feelings and impressions came back but this time much stronger. I was pregnant with my little twin miracles and I kept telling myself that I was insane for even considering such a thing. Again, I pushed it aside...over and over. Then after having little Eliana and Emmalie, you guessed it, the feelings and impressions came back. Then I KNEW I was insane!! I mean, how can I homeschool when I just had twins!!! I told Greg about the feelings that I was, once again, having and he, too,thought it would be too much for me and that Hannah should just go to public school when we got to the Seattle area. I agreed with him but deep down knew I was making the wrong choice....BUT REALLY, HOW WAS I SUPPOSED TO DO THAT?!? HOW WAS I SUPPOSED TO HOMESCHOOL WHEN I HAD A 4YR OLD, NEWBORN TWINS, AND A NEW HOUSE TO UNPACK?!? I just assumed I was misreading the Spirit and enrolled her in public school.
At first I was ok with my choice because I was really impressed with the school. Everyone seemed really nice and professional and they seemed like they were there because they WANTED to be, not just for additional income for the family. And Hannah really seemed to like her teacher and the kids that were in her class. Again, I had "justified" why I shouldn't home school...
Then the final straw...
Hannah came home scared to death about "global warming" and all the animals on the earth dying off. This subject coming up AFTER the hint towards "big bang" from a few weeks ago. I am NOT pleased with the teachers teaching theories as facts!!! What's up with that!?!?
Anyway, the conversation with Hannah brought me back to my knees asking for guidance. I had never really spent much time praying about the homeschooling subject because "how would I ever do it" if the Lord said I was suppose to. BUT this time I came before my Heavenly Father with a sincere heart to do HIS will, not mine. I kept my mind free of what I "won't" get to do and how difficult it may be on "me" and just focused on Hannah (and the rest of my children, for that matter). And the answer came LOUD AND CLEAR...as I knew it would.
I got online and began researching the subject, the groups, the curriculum, the methods, etc. Words cannot explain the strong feeling I had, from the Spirit, as I read over the information. It was like the Lord was saying..."FINALLY!!! FINALLY YOU LISTENED TO ME!! Finally you're doing "MY" will!!!" It brought tears to my eyes as I wondered if Hannah had any bad side effects due to my unwillingness to follow the Spirits promptings....I truly and surly hope not!!!
Greg wasn't exactly thrilled about my choice but he supported me anyway. He's never been a big fan of the homeschooling idea. But one day as he was driving home from work, he had an impression telling him that the reason Hannah needs to be home right now may not be "education" related. It could be for reasons we may never understand or know. And the interesting thing is, about that same time, I was up in my bedroom, rocking on my rocking chair and staring out the window. I was contemplating my newest choice and of course, doubting myself (not the choice)...what if I'm not qualified, etc (Satan was working hard on me!). Then that same impression that Greg had, came into my mind. We have no idea "why" she needs to be homeschooled, only that she does...."I know not, save the Lord commanded me." Moses 5:6
So, the big day is November 8th. We had to wait for the end of the current grading cycle. I am so thrilled to say that "I CANT WAIT!!!" I've figured out which curriculum and method I plan on using, which I'm thrilled about, as well. I've decided to go with "SimplyCharlotteMason.com" for my curriculum..they've got it all figured out for me!! YIPPEE!! I will adjust it to fit our family and lifestyle and also specifically for each child. My method is going to be based mostly on the Charlotte Mason method but it will also be fashioned after the Thomas Jefferson method. I find both styles to be amazing, and so much better than the public school system.
Here are some things from each method that I'd like to share. They are the things that confirmed to me I was making the right choice...
Charlotte Mason Method
www.simplycharlottemason.com
"The mother who takes pains to endow her children with good habits, secures for herself smooth and easy days; while she who lets their habits take care of themselves has a weary life of endless friction with the children." Charlotte Mason
"Many homeschoolers have adopted her (Charlotte Mason) philosophy and methods as they seek to educate the whole child, not just his or her mind."
Thomas Jefferson Method: Three systems of Education by Oliver Van DeMille
(www.hsunlimited.com/resources/homeschool-methods/thomas-jefferson-education.php)
"The first is the public school system, which was originally implemented to educate students who could not afford any other schooling. The entire system was directed toward preparing these students to fill the American job market. Today , the overwhelming majority of American students receive this type of education. Thomas Jefferson educators refer to this as "conveyor-belt education", which runs much like a factory. All students are given the same material at the same age, and are tested identically. No attention is given to individual talents or interests. The finished products of this system are indeed good employees, as they are taught what to think.'
'The second system is professional education, which is very similar to public education. These schools offer training in specialized professions such as law, medicine, business, and other trades. On this level, entry is more difficult and only the best students are able to compete. The finished product is highly trained specialists who know when to think.'
'The third alternative is called leadership education. This is the foundation of a Thomas Jefferson education. These are the students, according to Van DeMille, who become the true leaders in government, the entrepreneurs in business, and the inspiring voices of great ideas, high morals, and noble values.'
'According to Van DeMille, such leaders have historically been homeschooled, then moved on to quality schools where they studied the classics, guided and taught by mentors. These are the two pillars on which Van DeMille's system rests. Mentors are the teachers who inspire their students to a great desire to learn. Classics are works (books, art, music, etc) which were created by great minds; therefore, reading them puts the student in direct contact with the greatest minds of the centuries. In this way they learn how to think."
So, anyway, I have come up with a schedule and a teaching style by combining information from both of these websites. I like the thought of "being the example" and actually reading a book while Hannah reads a book, during reading time. I also like the thought of "always learning". That it isn't just when you have your "school books out" you're learning, but at all times.
We are going to be "learners", that's what Gabe calls it, and yes, I said "we". The whole family is going to "learn" each and everyday. And it's going to become a way of life NOT just a few hours a day spent in the books.
I'm so grateful for this opportunity I have to teach my children and not just subjects like math and science. I can teach them how to deal with life and how to become the best "them" they can be. I can teach them about how the Gospel relates to everything we learn and how it needs to be the center of our lives. I can teach them by example. I can teach them to love themselves and to love each other. I can teach them how I've always wanted to, the only difference is, now I'm not listening to Satan telling me I can't...because I can and I will!!
"...I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them." 1 Nephi 3:7
Hannah and I are so excited and we can't wait to get started!
Good luck with home schooling! You'll do fantastic!
ReplyDelete