So, today we went over to the school so that Hannah could meet her new teacher, Miss Chappell, and see which "track" she would be on. I was happy when I saw that she was on "B" track which meant she'd be going to school at 9:15 am instead of 8:15 am. So it started out great!! Then we went on the hunt to find her classroom which ended up being one of the portables (we have about 10, I think) that are located outside on the school grounds. I was a bit upset about that but felt some relief when we found out that by early next year they would have an actual classroom. They are adding onto the school and that's when the other rooms are projected to be finished. So, I let that go because I didn't want to stress about something that didn't need to be stressed about and I gave myself a pat on the back because that's hard for me to do!!! So, Hannah's teacher seemed nice enough and she ended up having several kids in her class that she knew. She even ended up with the girls she had pre-school with & carpooled with last year for Kindergarten. I was happy and she seemed happy so it was going to turn out to be a "happy" day, right?!?! That may have been the case until I asked Hannah's teacher when she would be going to lunch so that I could come eat with her sometime. I knew I wasn't going to like the answer when she hesitated before answering. When she finally told me that Hannah would be eating lunch at 10:45 am, I about died!!!!! "You've got to be kidding me!!!" I said, but she wasn't!!! I didn't know what to do! If she was going to school at 9:15 and then eats lunch not even 2 hours later, she's not even going to eat at all because she's not going to be hungry!!!! And then come 1 pm she's going to be starving!!!! Who runs these schools, anyway?!?! It's obvious that they don't have kids in 1st grade, that's for sure!! I, of course, was beside myself and didn't know what to do. I went and stood in the never-ending line at the office to see if there was anything I could do. When I finally got to inquire about the situation, all I pretty much got was "Sorry, there's nothing we can do" in a not-so-caring manner. I then went back to Hannah's teacher and asked if Hannah would be allowed to eat a snack during her 2nd recess. Her teacher already knew that there was going to be a problem so she had already alotted a period for "snack time" and was planning on giving the kids pretzel's, crackers, etc. I went on to say that I would like to send Hannah with something that's a little more filling and nutricious because she doesn't want to deal with Hannah when she has low-blood sugar! Her teacher was fearful that the other kids would feel bad and left out if some kids had something other than the pretzels, etc. So, I then encouraged her to inform the other mothers about the completely insane lunchtime and maybe they too, would like to send their child with something to eat, that isn't pure carbs. I did get her to agree with me and I will be sending Hannah with 2 snacks, one for lunch (because she won't really be hungry) and one for snacktime.
I swear, I should have just home schooled!!! That thought continues to cross my mind but I will try this out and see if I need to take control or not! Hannah's excited about her friends so I don't want to take that from her unless I feel it is for sure needed!!
Tomorrow is the first day of school and I will have photos to post so check back!!!
I know you have yogurt covered pretzels.
ReplyDeleteThis was what happened to Daria in Kindergarden. Each year her lunch has been held later and later. Still, the early lunch is lame. If the schools would build two lunchrooms it would solve the problem. In K the parents were in charge of buying snacks for the whole class, by 1st and 2nd we just sent our kids snacks in. I have no idea what 3rd grade will be like! yikes!
ReplyDelete