Last night, Greg and I went to a Utah Jazz basketball game. Our tickets are 6 rows behind the visiting teams bench. To get to our seats we have to walk directly in front of the opposing teams locker room. As we walked by heading to our seats, one of the Golden State Warriors was coming out of the locker room. We just smiled and kept walking. Greg ended up being about 2 or 3 steps in front of me, as we passed by him. As we continued walking, I could tell that someone was right behind me and before I knew it, someone had grabbed me around my shoulders, pulling me backwards, causing me to almost stumble. My first thought was that a security guard was stopping me so that the Warriors player could get past me. But as I turned my head to see who it was, I realized the individual was towering over me!! It was the Warriors player. He leaned down and started talking to me. At first what he was saying wasn't registering because I was so surprised. My mind was trying to process what was going on. I began focusing on his words and began realizing what he was telling me. It went something like this...
"Look, your man didn't even realized that I snatched you. He should never walk ahead of you like that."
Sure enough, Greg was quite a few feet ahead of me by now and hadn't looked back to see where I was. The player continued on...
"If you were my girl, I'd never allow another man the chance to snatch you away. Look, he still hasn't noticed!"
I went on to explain that we have been married for almost 12 years and that the "protective" thing kind of wears off during that time. He repeated...
"If you were mine, it would never happen. I would never walk in front of you."
By this point, Greg was all the way through the tunnel and stepping onto the bleachers. FINALLY... Greg looked back because he realized I wasn't with him or maybe it was due to the fact that all of the security people were staring at me and the G.S. player with huge smiles on their faces and Greg was just following their stare. I'm not really sure, but for whatever reason he finally looked back. His face was shocked as he realized that I had been snatched by the NBA player. The player again reminded me that I shouldn't let a man leave me behind because someone else will swoop in and take me. Then he gave a quick squeeze on my shoulders and quickly walked down the tunnel. He stopped at the end and gave Greg some sort of fancy hand shake and gave him a manly pat on the shoulder, letting Greg know that he was just playing around.
So, anyway, I thought the whole thing was odd but somewhat flattering. It's not everyday I get "snatched" by an NBA player. As the game started, Greg and I watched to see who the player was. He ended up being one of their starters. He was #2, Mickael Pietrus. I told Greg that the player had a really cool accent and it turns out he's from France.
Just as the game started I realized one of the reasons why he may have been so nice to me and Greg. I was looking around the arena and I realized that one of the colors for the Golden State Warriors is orange. I looked down at Greg and myself and started laughing because we were both wearing orange shirts with blue jeans.
So, the moral of the story is if you are going to a Jazz game either wear Jazz colors or research the opposing teams colors so you don't find your wife being snatched by the opposing team's player! :)
I want to finish by defending my adorable husband, whom I love. He was only a couple feet in front of me and I tend to lag behind. It wasn't his fault that I was snatched and he's decided to never let it happen again :)
That's so funny! The last game we went to we were on the second row behind the basket. It rocks. Do you guys get the VIP dinner before? It's so much fun. Spencer's boss gives some of his season tickets to employees and we've been to a couple! Yeah like I'm gonna pay $450 a ticket to watch basketball. Uh HUH! But for free I'm there in a second!
ReplyDeleteThat's a cute story! Who wears orange to Jazz games? Isn't that some sort of sin :o)!
ReplyDeleteThat's so funny.............Greg better watch out, I hear those NBA stars won't give up so easy!! ;)
ReplyDeleteSounds like you guys had a great time, I wish I could have talked to you more yesterday, maybe I could have gotten the story first-hand!
What a great experience!!! I love it. Ok, after 12 years, it is always fun to be reminded that we can be noticed (as silly as that sounds) I'm sure Greg will be keeping his eyes and arms around you from now on. :o)
ReplyDeleteYou go girl!!!!
(maybe you were wearing orange becuase subconsiously you were wishing you were in Texas watching a Texas Longhorn game.........)