Tuesday, May 13, 2008

I've Finished "The Host"

Ok, so I have now finished reading The Host by Stephanie Meyer. I don't want to say too much on here just incase people are either still reading it or are planning on reading it. BUT I do have to say that I don't think it's nice of Stephanie Meyer to mess with our emotions the way she did in this book. I mean, come on now...Ian & Wanda...Melanie & Jared...Jared & Wanda...Ian & Melanie...?????? I wasn't exactly sure who or what I was rooting for!! The book is over and I'm still not sure if I like how things turned out!! It just doesn't feel right. I think if I had my way it would be...The old Wanda & Jared...."Squish her as far back as you can and just make her disappear Wanda!!! You can do it!!! Push...Push...Push" I mean if the New Wanda's old tenant had disappeared then there must be a way, right? But then there's Jamie, oh man, that'll put a wrench in my plan....Now I'm back where I started again! I'm not sure what the perfect answer is BUT I know the way it ended was NOT the perfect way. It just feels wrong.

So, anyway, if you really want your emotions messed with then pick up the book and start reading. And the "being messed with" part doesn't happen until about the middle of the book so keep reading!!

And I agree with Jacquie, there definitely needs to be a sequel!

5 comments:

  1. Ok first of all, celeste, thank you thank you thank you. I'm glad i'm not the only one who felt so conflicted.
    I have to say though that i read it again (with Beau) anyways, it made me fall even more in love with Ian (almost like edward). I have come to the realization that i can be happy with the ending as long as i tell myself that all of the residual feelings are just that (memories from a past life) that will just go away. The only part that still throws me is Jared's feelings. he has no reason to be so confused like the rest of them do. ANd why did the most steamy/emotional scene have to be ebtween Jared and Wanda. Beau thinks Jaread was just lying like wanda asked him to but i don't buy that for one second. Especially because he still seems a tad conflicted at the end when everyone is in the separate bodies. All of the scenes with Ian came up just a little short of that goodbye from Jared. but i'll just forget about that one little part and be happy. I can even be ok with there being no sequel cuz it seems as if everyone is happy and things will just continue to get better. And i do think Jared and Melanie are the best match and Ian is just awesome so I want Wanda with him.
    See....I worked through this mess, and all by myself too (atleast no professional help)! Thanks for helping me out too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just when I finally come to terms with the end of the book, I found this from an interview on a fansite. Get ready for more "messed up" emotions.

    "Q. Do you think you will write a second book to The Host?

    A. Another very good question. This is the thing. I'm kinda tired. I want to be able to write, but I don't want to have to be under pressure of a deadline. So I'm gonna sorta let myself see what I want to write and go from there. I do have an outline for the next book and about 2 chapters of it already so if I were to go ahead with it, the trilogy would be The Host, The Seeker, and The Soul. But I don't know, I'm sure I will get around to it eventually. One of the things that is hard about writing the sequel to the Host is that I've grown fond of the characters, and in order for the sequels to be written, characters would need to die and I don't want them to."

    That would have to mean Ian and Melanie don't you think? AAAHHHH....I don't want Ian to die! I should have just been happy with the ending the way it was. But that will probably mean more steamy scenes with Jared and Wanda. Maybe this also explains why she didn't totally develop all of the characters well enough to really get attached. ps. I don't mind if you erase my comments to make room for reasonable people to comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, so now it makes me wonder how long we are going to have to wait for these sequals to come out. I mean she made it sound like she's going on vacation for who-knows-how-long and won't start writing for over a year!! Come on now, I can't wait 2-3 yrs for a sequal!! NO WAY!! And who exactly is she killing off....it just better not be Jeb. I love his character. And I'm not sure if it wouldn't be very interesting if she did kill off Melanie and then Wanda has to decided between Ian and Jared. Now that would make for some drama, don't you think?!? Oh, I'm getting all excited just by thinking about it.

    Here's to 3 years of possible story lines!! :)

    And just a reminder to all you Twilight fans out there, it's only 3 MONTHS AWAY!!! BREAKING DAWN COMES OUT IN EARLY AUGUST!!!! YIPPEE.....I CANT WAIT!!! EDWARD...EDWARD...oh and did I mention....EDWARD!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yeah i think the killing off mel part is pretty likely. we're already so torn between ian and jared that it would continue the drama. and then would wanda get her old body back, but with no mel inside? But that would be torture because i love ian but the chemistry with jared is just too good! how could i choose?

    ReplyDelete