Ok, so most of you know about my "not supporting Oprah" stance and some of you have a little fun teasing me about that, which is fine. I just want to take this moment and clarify my stance.
I think Oprah does a lot of good in this world. I think her heart is in the right place when it comes to serving those who are less fortunate. I think over all she is a good person.
Now, I also think that her stance against the LDS church is hurtful. I think her willingness to have questionable topics on her show is hurtful. I think the amount of power that she has, especially with women, can be hurtful. I think her view of "women-power" is hurtful. I think over-all her point-of-view (except for humanitarian topics) is hurtful.
If she was doing a fundraiser, I'd dontate, it's a good cause. That's not where I don't show my support. As for watching her show, I chose not to support. I believe at one point her show was very uplifting and a very good source for women to turn to find selfworth and a purpose but I feel that those days are FAR gone! I wonder how many people she has encouraged to take just one little step to the right of the iron rod, even if it's just with our willingness to accept alternate lifestyles? I know that it is still up to us to decide if we take that step and that we are accountable for our own choices. But there are a lot of people searching out there and she has a lot of followers... A LOT OF FOLLOWERS!!!!
So, today I received an email from one of my friends. I'm not sure what her stance is on Oprah but I'm sure she doesn't watch her show because she doesn't really watch TV. But the email was very, very troubling. I want to post the link to my blog so that others may see what I have been fearing for so many years now. I know that it's a bit theatrical but the point is very clear! Maybe this will help shed some light on my point of view so that you can understand where I am coming from. Make sure to watch the whole thing. I think you'll be amazed!
Let me know what you think!
Interesting. Reminds me of one of my favorite sayings, "If you are too open minded, your brain will fall out!"
ReplyDeleteThe saddest part is that you hear them say things that are true, and then take them a step further to total and complete misinterpretation. I guess it is especially interesting to listen to that first link just hours after having heard from prophets and apostles....
My favorite part was the very end of that first one..."christians, turn off your tv...." ; )
Interesting!
ReplyDeleteI think that she does have some of the truth, but then she gets all caught up in what she thinks for what someone else thinks and takes that as 'doctrine' instead of seeing it for what it truly is!
She'll understand one day.............probably not til she's gone, but one day it will all make sense to her instead of it always being about what she believes is the truth.
Watching those videos makes me extremely grateful for the gospel. I can't even imagine feeling like I needed someone to lean on for spiritual guidance...and choosing Oprah! Honestly, I think if she didn't have Dr. Oz on there, I probably wouldn't watch :o)
ReplyDeleteA friend of mine recently told me that I needed to get "A New Earth" because she said that it was spiritually life-changing. Personally, I think I'll stick with the scriptures! 99% truth and that 1% that's not is clearly evident here!
The whole time I was watching it I felt a sadness for these two people (and everyone that follows)because they are not aware of their loving Heavenly Father who is mindful of their every need. I am so grateful for my testimony of the restored gospel and for the knowledge that I know that my Heavenly Father lives and loves me.
ReplyDeleteI had several friends remind me that it is "philosophies of men mingled with scripture." It doesn't surpise me that those searching would lean toward it but what surprises me most is those who are LDS who lean toward it, especially when we've been given everything that could ever help us in this life. Based off of the reviews the author uses scripture but then also teaches that there is no sin, no guilt, etc. etc. thus taking God out of the equation. People will be chasing their tails.
ReplyDelete