So, this past Saturday I had my first ever "belt test" and I passed!! I wasn't sure what to expect but I assumed I just needed to do my Poomse and that would be it! I guess that's what I get for assuming, huh! They ended up testing us on our kicks, our blocks, the Student Pledge (froze on that one but stumbled my way through it), our poomse, and last but OH SO NOT least....breaking boards!! yeah, you heard me right...BREAKING TWO BOARDS AT THE SAME TIME!!! I almost broke into tears when I realized I was going to have to break some too. At first I thought it was just for the higher level students so I didn't think much of it. I mean, wouldn't they let us know if they were going to have us break a couple pieces of wood so we could practice!?! Uhhhhh.....NOPE!!! As soon as they called Nick to come forward I about passed out because he was testing for his yellow belt as well. I seriously looked like a deer in the headlights of an oncoming triple-decker diesel!! I had to keep reminding myself to breath OR to stop breathing so much. I was a MAJOR MESS!!! When they called my name, I squeeked a "yes sir!" and made my way to the middle of the mat. I look at my instructor like, "Are you seriously doing this to me?!? There's no way I'm going to do this!! I'm gonna make a fool of myself!!" But he just smiled back at me. I think he was slightly amused by my shock and fear. Well, needless to say, I managed to break both boards with one hit!!! YIPPEE FOR ME!! It's been a while since I've had such a huge grin on my face. I seriously couldn't believe it!!! I was like...."No Way!!! No Way!! I did it!!!"
Well, last night was the belt ceremony when I received my yellow belt and certificate. It was a proud moment for me. I'm really glad that I followed one of my interests because I'm seriously having the time of my life! I LOVE it!!!
Now onto my yellow belt with the black stripe!!!

This is me just before breaking the two boards. I'm looking at my instructer with my "don't make me do this" eyes. He had no mercy!
This is my instructer "Master Augustine" (I think that's his title...he's never really told me) and he's writing on my broken board. I still can't believe I broke those things!! They were abt and inch thick total!! Just crazy!!
Here I am with my written on, broken boards. Greg was like, "Remind me never to get you mad!!" but of course, he was just joking but I think he was pretty proud of his wife!! :)
That's so awesome! it really is super exciting. Are you going to start competing-those competitions are so fun to watch!
ReplyDeleteYou know, the whole thought of competing freaks me out so I just don't think about that but I'm sure it's somewhere out there in the FAR FAR distance!! I've never been to a competition so I'm glad to hear that they're fun to watch! :)
ReplyDeleteThat really is incredible, seriously. I'm so amazed. I'm still shocked over the boards and can't help but get a sense of "coolness" about the whole thing. I know you must feel great, because you've made a goal and stuck to it and you are enjoying it!
ReplyDelete