Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Two More!

Last night, I gained two more stripes on my belt at Taekwondo!! I got a red stripe for completing my "poomse" without a mistake and a black stripe that signifies that my instructor "believes in" me and is "recommending" me for my test on Saturday. It's all symbolic but it made me feel good! There were a couple of people who were scheduled to test this Saturday but after the "stripe test" the instructor decided not to "recommend" them for testing. I really felt bad for them (of course, they are way more advanced than me. They're working on their red belt or something! The stuff they have to do it much more difficult than mine) but I guess that's how it goes. I think the integrity of the instructor would be compromised if he allowed them to "test" even though he's the one giving them the test. Does that make sense? Again, it's all symbolic.

So, Saturday's the big day and I hope I pass and get my yellow belt. But if I don't, then I will use the example of those who didn't pass the "stripe test" and just bow, say "yes sir!" and try harder next time. It's not a competition between students, it's just a competition with ourselves.

2 comments: