It's been almost exactly a year since I began homeschooling my kids. I year-and-a-half ago, I never would have assumed I'd be where I am today. Not for the lack of "wanting" to homeschool (because I've thought about it MANY MANY times) but for the amount of "stuff" going on in my life.
When I began homeschooling, our family had just moved to the Seattle area, where we had no friends nor family. I had just given birth to our twinners, who were 4 months old. Our lives were far from "the normal" because everything was new!! But I had a relentless pull, tugging on my heart (the Spirit) to make the change...and I'm so very grateful I did!
Right now, I am finding our little family in a wonderful groove. Things seem to be just coasting along. The kids really enjoy "learning time" and I really enjoy mentoring them on different subjects.
At first, I was really stressed about doing things "right" and now I realize that "right" is different for every home....especially in a TJEd home. I had to simply relax, stop listening to ignorant people, and start believing that, as a mom, I'm inherently the best person to educate my children...do I not know them better and anyone else?!?
I'm finding so much joy in turning our home into a place of constant learning and I'm absolutely addicted to buying good books and adding educational items to our "Learners Closet"!! This Christmas may be the best one ever because of all the fun items I've purchased that I can't wait to use with the children!!
It's completely AMAZING how fun it is to learn when you're not being forced to... and when you're in an environment that is individualized and filled with the Spirit of God!
I'm so blessed to not only call myself the "Mother" of my four amazing children, but also their "Mentor"!!
No comments:
Post a Comment